Did you know that the number one cause of car accidents is driver distraction? In 2018, the CDC reported nearly 3,000 deaths and 400,000 injuries in accidents involving distracted drivers. If you have been injured in a crash due to a distracted driver, our car accident attorneys can help you pursue the compensation you need to recover.
There are several ways someone can become distracted while driving, whether it is physical or mental. The most common distractions that cause car accidents include:
- Talking/texting: This is the biggest cause of distracted driving accidents in the country. According to the National Safety Council, 26% of all crashes involve a cell phone.
- Using GPS: Setting up a GPS route while driving is another common factor in distracted driving incidents. If you need to use a GPS, mount it somewhere that is easily visible and enable vocal directions.
- Adjusting console controls: Whether you are changing the temperature or trying to choose music, it can take your attention off the road. Ask a passenger to make console adjustments or wait until you have stopped.
- Applying makeup: Many people running late to work or other activities try to finish their makeup while driving. By taking your hands off the wheel, a potential accident can become much more deadly.
- Reading: Driving safely requires your full attention. Trying to read at the same time as driving will increase your cognitive load, making it difficult to stay focused on the road.
While there are other ways a driver may get distracted, these examples are the easiest to avoid. Taking your eyes off the road for even one second can lead to a serious accident. If someone’s distracted driving causes you injury, seek medical attention immediately and then contact our knowledgeable personal injury attorneys for assistance.
Injured in a Car Accident? Shaw Cowart LLP Can Help
If you have been injured in a car accident because of a distracted driver, call Shaw Cowart LLP today at 512-499-8900 to schedule a complimentary consultation. Our experienced car accident attorneys are committed to fighting on your behalf. We proudly serve clients from our office in Austin, TX.