Studies estimate that approximately 200,000 patients die every year due to dangerous medical mistakes. Three of the most common include:
- Missed cancer diagnosis – often, doctors fail to listen to their patients and only rely on medical test results; therefore, they miss potentially serious problems such as cancer. Many types of cancer are difficult to detect until they have developed into a critical illness. Studies indicate that one in four mammograms read as a false negative, especially in younger patients. Make sure your doctor does not dismiss your symptoms, and be persistent to find a problem and a remedy.
- Surgical errors – doctors are human, and unfortunately; they make mistakes. Surgical errors can cause internal bleeding or infections that can be deadly. If you exhibit unusual side-effects following a surgery, seek medical help immediately.
- Unnecessary surgeries – in some cases, medical answers are not 100% clear. Doctors have to make assumptions and base their diagnosis on past experience. Some physicians perform surgeries that are not necessary that have long-lasting side effects.
Austin Malpractice Attorney
Medical mistakes happen every day in Austin. Some of these mistakes result in life-altering personal injuries or even death. You may be due malpractice compensation for:
- medical bills
- lost wages
- loss of lifestyle
- loss of ability to earn an income
- pain and suffering
- loss of companionship
- necessary medical equipment
- physical therapy
- psychiatric therapy
Consult with a malpractice attorney at Shaw Cowart to determine if you should file a claim. We will not mislead you, and we will advocate for you and your family.